Being in a long distance relationship can be complicated, lonely at times, and just plain tough. However, if you have decided that this type of relationship is for you, be ready to take on some of the challenges of a long distance relationship.
Often, with distance comes more appreciation for the simple things in life. Since you don’t get to constantly be together like other couples, it means a whole lot more to you. (Ever heard the term “absence makes the heart grow fonder”)
Below are 7 tips to help you make the most of your long distance relationship while keeping it strong and healthy.
· Know where you are going – You should always make sure that you both are on the same page in your relationship. Is this a long or short term arrangement? Will either of you eventually move to the other person? What future outcome do you both expect?
· Communicate often– Use email, skype, texting and the phone to communicate when you can. Staying in touch helps to keep you close to one another and allows you to feel like the other person really is right there with you. You don’t have to communicate every single day, actually you probably shouldn’t, but do keep in touch with one another.
· Maintain trust –Sometimes when another person is far away our mind might wander into places it shouldn’t and doesn’t need to go. You have to have complete trust and faith in each other for this type of relationship to work. If you both don’t have that, the relationship will surely be doomed.
· Argue only in person – Everyone has disagreements and since you both are far away, it’s hard to have those disagreements face to face like most couples. However, you have to make sure not to argue or fight via email, phone, or other electronic device. This only leads to misunderstandings. Wait until you are face to face to talk though whatever problem you are having.
· Stay true in your beliefs – You and your partner have to believe that this relationship will work. Your family and friends will try to tell you otherwise and make you think you have made a mistake, but if you and your partner firmly believe in the strength of your relationship then you can make it work. It doesn’t matter what others say – believe in each other.
· Get together as often as you can – Don’t let too much time lapse between when you see each other. Try to meet at least every two weeks and if you can do it more often then that’s great too. Just don’t get too involved in your own life that you might push the other person out – even if you don’t mean to.
A long distance relationship isn’t for everyone, but if both people believe in their relationship and believe in each other, the relationship can survive over the miles. People have done it before and you and your partner can be one of the many who do survive no matter the distance or time. Have faith, stay positive and your relationship will last.